Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Age and Marriage


For some reason my kids always ask me how old I am.  I don't mind telling them.  I like for them to know things about me and for them to realize that I am a real person just like them.  Hopefully none of my students think that I live at the school or anything like that. 

We had a water day on the Friday of the first week of school.  The kids were soaked and I was soaked too, we had a lot of fun together.  One of my students asked me how old I was.  I told him I was 23.  A girl standing by who was listening into the conversations was very surprised by my response.  I asked her how old she thought I was to which she responded "I thought you were like 30." I acted quite offended and shocked that she thought I was that old, in a very playful way of course.  My student who had asked the question then piped in by saying "She couldn't be 30, she's not even married yet." (Apparently if you are 30 you have to be married) Then after a second he bounces away while saying, "You should just get married, that would make everything better."  Thanks for the advice kiddo.  Believe it or not, I'm working on it. 

Today another little girl in my class asked me how old I was.  I told her I was 23 and she was also shocked.  I asked her how old she thought I was and she said, "I thought you were like 16." I said "Why thank you." Let's be honest, at 23 I would rather someone think I'm 16 than think I'm 30.

The moral of the story is...there are many second graders that are not very good at guessing ages of people.  They do like to throw out marriage advice though, just like everybody else.  This next story actually happened two years ago (my first year) but it is still one of my favorites.

I was teaching guided reading. I had four boys from other classes. While they were reading a girl from my class came up and asked if I would put her hair clip back in for her. As I did so one of the boys was watching. When I turned back to the boy he asked "Are you a mom yet?" I told him that I wasn't, I wasn't even married yet. He then said "So have you found someone?"
Kids are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment